Thursday, March 09, 2006

Monkey Mind

Sometimes I feel like I could post stuff every five minutes. It's amazing how the mind jumps from one topic to another. Perhaps we all have a bit of ADD. I will be driving and think, "I should really write about this" or "This would be a good topic." I doubt anyone even reads this besides me. I find that kind of cool, actually, since I can treat this like my own private journal, but online. I haven't even told my husband I started this blog. Not sure why. Maybe I feel I would censor what I write. Yesterday I happened upon a site called "Pro Ana" about anorexia. I am not anorexic but it was linked to one of my gossip sites. I was just astounded at some of the stuff on there. I am the heaviest I have ever been (but to look at me you wouldn't know it. However, I know it--I can barely fit into my pants). This is a function of getting older and not eating well. Still, I couldn't fathom the lengths to which some young women (and men) will go to to lose weight. And it doesn't stop there; it's as if they want to "conquer" their bodies, as if their bodies are a prison. Something I love about Anusara yoga is the idea that the body is not a prison, it's your instrument. How you choose to care for your instrument is up to you. But starving oneself beyond recognition seems to be a drastic way of living one's life, and not very joyful. What is the purpose of living if all you are worried about is calories and pounds and scales. That is not to say I don't want to drop a few pounds, but I can't envision starving myself to do it. The body and mind are not separate. People need to realize that. Enough ranting for now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home