Thursday, March 23, 2006

Ollie

I started a blog for my sister's dog, Ollie. Is that weird? Ollie is a member of the family. She will be 10 years old on April 12 and virtually every conversation that my sister and I have revolved around her in some way.

I think pets are some of the greatest teachers we have. They have true buddhanature and it doesn't hide behind ego. They just exist to love and be loved. Our cat, Diablo, is such a wonderful, loving creature. Everytime he gets fed, he is so happy. Everytime he gets pets, he is so happy. Everything is new. He truly has beginner's mind. I think dogs have that too, but their intelligence is closer to our own. They seem to remember things more than cats. Of course, when I see Ollie and then leave for 5 minutes and come back, she wags her tail like I've been gone forever. So maybe dogs only remember certain things: like where that chicken bone is on the street.

It's hard watching pets grow old too. I don't think they have a sense of their own mortality, which someone makes it sweeter and more painful. Ollie can't move like she used to; she has very bad hip dysplasia and can't go up and down stairs without my sister pulling her. It's hard to watch; harder still because I know she is trying so hard. She's not doing it on purpose. It's heartbreaking. During those times, I just try to remain grateful for all the time we had with her and to enjoy the time we still have left.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home